CURRICULUM AND REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
Required Courses for Graduation in Louisiana (Seniors of 2012 and beyond):
English: 4 units Mathematics: 4 units
Social Studies: 4 units Sciences: 4 units
Physical Education: 1 ½ units Health: ½ unit
Foreign Language: 2 units Arts: 1 unit
Electives: 3 units
Total Credits for Graduation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24 units
• Courses are offered to students without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, or handicap.
• Seniors must take four classes. All others must take seven classes.
• Students must pass the written composition, language arts, and mathematics part of the Graduate Exit Exam and they must also pass either the science or social studies part to graduate.
• For incoming freshmen in 2010-2011 and beyond, students must meet the assessment requirements below to earn a standard diploma.
a. Students must pass three end-of-course tests in the following categories:
i. English II or English III;
ii. Algebra I or Geometry;
iii. Biology or U.S. History
b. Students enrolled in a course for which there is an EOC test must take the EOC test.
i. The EOC test score shall count a percentage of the student’s final grade for the course
ii. The percentage shall be between 15 percent and 30 percent inclusive, and shall be determined by the LEA.
iii. The grades assigned for the EOC test achievement levels shall be
EOC Achievement Level Grade
Needs Improvement D or F
iv. The DOE will provide conversion chars for various grading scales
used by LEAs.
• EOC Test Scores will account for 16% of the final grade and the EOC Test Grade will be the Final Exam Grade in Algebra I, English II, English III, Geometry and Biology, U.S. History beginning the 2011-2012 school year.
• Civics for incoming Freshmen of the 2011-2012 School Year will become a 1 credit Course rather than a ½ Credit course and Free Enterprise will be taught for 1 Six Weeks as part of the Civics Course.